Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 450 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 30countries, including in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with dedicated and enthusiastic staffs who loves their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Institutional Learning Team
The Institutional Learning Team (ILT) was set up in 2002 with the aim of supporting SFCG as a learning organization by enhancing the effectiveness of SFCG’s programming through a commitment to excellence in programing, monitoring and evaluation, and through continuous learning institutionally and within related fields.
Summary of Position
The Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E) Asia Specialist is responsible for providing leadership and technical support on design, monitoring and evaluation in five Asia countries: Pakistan, Sri Lanka, East Timor, Indonesia, and Nepal, with additional support to new countries in the event of regional expansion. He/she will work within a regional structure to improve program and DM&E quality. S/he will directly report to the DM&E Manager who is based in Washington, D.C. This position is based in one of the following SFCG Asia offices: Timor-Leste, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia or Nepal.
Develop the ability of each country program to improve program design, monitoring and evaluation through:
- Providing orientation, technical support, and training to Asia staff members, particularly in areas of design, monitoring and evaluation;
- Providing regularcoaching and support to DM&E Coordinators within Asia;
- Providing leadership in the development of monitoring systems (eg. the development of common indicators, M&E plans, data collection tools, evidence-based processes, and knowledge management plans);
- Supporting recruitment and management (if needed) of DM&E consultants for specific projects;
- Supporting DM&E Coordinators and staff with project planning meetings, baseline studies, monitoring missions and evaluations, where appropriate and based on project requirements;
- Analysing data collected and sharing findings with key internal and external stakeholders;
- Supporting project design and proposal writing as needed.
- Liaising with the Regional Program Manager and Regional Director to align with regional priorities;
- Offering DME support on any regional expansion or new country programs
- Convening regional DM&E Conference Calls;
- Preparing and distributing a monthly DM&E bulletin for the region;
- Facilitating cross-fertilisation of skills and experiences of DM&E across the region
- Working closely with the DM&E Manager based in Washington, D.C. to set priorities and review quality of the work undertaken;
- Contributing to developing organization-wide DM&E tools, systems and processes;
- Facilitating cross-organizational learning, which includes providing information, guidelines, lessons learned, and user-friendly learning tools on DM&E on the Institutional Learning Team Intranet website;
- Participating in in Program Quality initiatives led by Program Support Team under the Chief Programming Officer
- Attending DM&E events, conferences, and meetings to keep up to date and maintain relationships; and
- Being directly engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission and its staff, through the sharing of experience and knowledge, particularly contributing to its Institutional Learning efforts.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in design, monitoring and evaluation methodologies
- At least two (2) years of field-based data collection and analysis experience
- Multi-country and cross-cultural experience related to program or DM&E implementation
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related area required (Master’s degree preferred)
- Demonstrated technical capacity to provide support and guidance to project staff on DM&E
- Experience in designing DM&E organization-wide systems
- Experience in designing and implementing DM&E data collection methodologies and tools
- Ability to coach and train others in M&E principles and best-practices
- Commitment and experience in participatory capacity building techniques (preferred)
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate evaluations, including experience developing evaluation terms of reference and recruiting and managing consultants
- Extensive knowledge of logical framework and results framework planning and evaluation methodologies and the ability to coach and train others in their use
- Self -motivated and self-starter
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional relationships
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality
- Able to work independently and effectively in a team environment
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with a proactive approach
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, and work to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient inuse ofMicrosoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, Pivot Tables, Access, as well as web browsers
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time within Asia (30-40%)
- Prior experience as a trainer
- Knowledge of participatory methods, mix-methods, outcome mapping and/or impact evaluation techniques
- Experience working internationally and specifically in conflict/fragile state environments
- Knowledge of data analysis software (e.g. SAS, SPSS)
Qualified local, national, and international persons are encouraged to apply who are resident and able to be employed in one of the above-mentioned countries.