The Strengthening Poverty Reduction Strategy Monitoring (SPRSM) Cell (Balochistan) in the Planning and Development Department underpins the government's institutional mechanism for poverty monitoring. The PRS Cell has been mandated with the overall lead in coordinating, monitoring, evaluating, and tracking the implementation of the PRSP-II; and reporting progress on pro poor public expenditures, intermediate social indicators, and final outcomes. A critical input in achieving the targets set out in the PRSP is the effective utilization of pro poor public expenditures.
The purpose of the SPRSM project is to strengthen institutional capacities for results-based monitoring and evaluation of poverty reduction strategies (PRS) and has the following three outputs:
1. Public spending and allocations in pro-poor sectors analyzed reviewed through a gender lens to better understand the contribution and needs of men and women.
2. Quality, collection, analysis and management of PRSP data improved at national and province levels.
3. Provincial engagement in PRSP monitoring mobilized through participatory processes.
Nutrition has a direct impact on health outcomes, learning potential, income earning potential and poverty within a community. Nutrition is an aspect of food aid, food security, health, livelihoods, education and agriculture programming and many of these have their own overlaps with one another.
According to National Nutrition survey 2011, 31.2 percent children were underweight at national level. The prevalence of underweight was high (33.1%) in rural area as compare to urban (26.5%). At provincial level, Balochistan had highest (41.8%) rate of underweight.
In case of child immunization the government of Pakistan is providing the vaccine free of cost at basic health units, rural health centers, Tehsil/District and other state-run hospitals, as part of its national immunization program. The program guidelines recommend that all children receive a vaccination against tuberculosis; three doses of vaccine for the prevention of diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and tetanus; three doses of polio vaccine; three doses of the hepatitis vaccine; and a vaccination against measles during the first year of the child’s life. In addition to the program of routine immunizations, since 1994 Pakistan has also conducted a number of special national immunization days (NID) in the effort to eradicate polio.
The situation is alarming in case of child immunization. According to latest Balochistan MICS survey 2010, the percentage of children who had all vaccinations by their first birthday is only 2 percent. by t any age is only 4 percent.
Keeping in view the above situation of low immunization and malnutrition of children in Balochistan, the Health department Govt of Balochistan and SPRSM Project have planned to conduct this study to find out the reasons behind this situation.
· To identify the main reasons of low immunization and malnutrition in children
· To assess the parental attitudes and behavior regarding child feeding (especially breast feeding), infant supplements, child care on malnutrition and child immunization
· Incorporate the views of different stakeholders e.g. parents, teachers, concern government officers and religious leaders.
· To prioritize the programs/initiatives at the provincial level and refining planning and implementation of initiatives on the basis of identified priorities.
This will be a desktop study with mixture of primary data collection in some selected areas of Balochistan as a sample. The consultant will use the qualitative research methods such as focus group discussions, meetings with key informant and relevant government officers at district and provincial level
Responsibilities and Cope of Work:
The consultant will carry out the following assignments;
· Collect relevant data and supportive material from Provincial Bureau of Statistics (BoS) and other relevant departments and organizations
· Review and analyze the available secondary data regarding low immunization and malnutrition in children of Balochistan
· Collect primary data using qualitative research methods such as conducting meetings, group discussions with relevant stakeholders, at community level, key informants including government departments, civil society organizations
· Analyze the primary and secondary data collected from field and sources to identify the causes of low immunization and malnutrition on children
· Identify the policies, strategies, planning and programs gap responding low immunization and malnutrition issues
· Give recommendations on possible changes in policies, strategies, planning and programs
· Develop report on the basis of analysis of primary & secondary data and recommendations
· Submission of outline of proposed methodology and timeline
· Submission of draft plan for the service-focused and general assessments in the form of questionnaires, focus group guidelines, etc, as well as planned sampling method for each sub-investigation.
· Submission of first draft report.
· Provision of comments by SPRSMP team.
· Submission of draft final report.
The consultant will be based in Quetta and travel to selected district of Balochistan, if required.
Duration of Study:
The total duration of the assignment will be 45 working days, spanned over a period of 60 days after the issuance of the contract.
Qualification and Experience:
· MBBS with research experience/MPH preferable or Master’s degree in any other relevant discipline of Social Sciences with relevant experience.
· Extensive experience in research, analysis and program design in the area of nutrition/food security and immunization programs.
· Excellent analytical report writing skills
The consultant will report directly to the Provincial Project Director and Provincial Project Manager of SPRSM project Balochistan at Quetta.
· On submission of Outline of the Study and Work Plan - 20%
· On submission and approval of the first draft - 40 %
· On submission and acceptance of the final report - 40%
“Equally qualified women will be given preference.”
|MBBS/Masters Degree||F.Sc / A Levels / (12 Years)||MBBS with research experience/MPH preferable or Master’s degree in any other relevant discipline of Social Sciences with relevant experience from a recognized university.|
|English Language and Report Writing Skills|| Excellent || Extensive experience in research, analysis and program design in the area of nutrition/food security and immunization programs. Extensive knowledge of research methods and statistical analysis and relevant work experience • Excellent report writing skills |